Chihuahuas are the world’s smallest breed of dog, and they make very popular pets! They are named after the Mexican state where they were discovered, which explains why Spanish Chihuahua names are so common for this breed…and why a Chihuahua is the Taco Bell mascot!
As you look for Chihuahua names, the greatest thing to keep in mind is to select a name that you like and that also works for your dog. To help you do this, we’ve come up with a few helpful suggestions , specifically suited to Chihuahuas, that you may want to use :
1) You can look for dog names that reference your Chihuahua’s most obvious physical attribute – its size . In this instance, names like Atom, Gadget, Peanut, Tic Tac and Tinkerbell might fit the bill .
2) You can look for a name that pays tribute to your dog’s Spanish heritage. Bonita (pretty), Chiquita (small girl), Carlos and Geraldo are all examples of Spanish monkiers .
3) You can look for a name that has a touch of wit or hyperbole . For example, imagine a small Chihuahua called Moose, Hercules or Bruiser!
4) Since little dogs are famous for their larger than life personalities, you can look for a name that refers to this characteristic . Diva, Princess, Jock and Napoleon are all examples of names with attitude !
Of course, if none of these suggestions work for you and your Chihuahua, there are countless other options . Here are some more suggestions to help guide you:
1) Use your hobbies for inspiration. If you’re a golfer, how about the name Putter? Love to read? Choose the name of your favorite author!
2) Think of famous people – presidents, royalty, movie stars, scientists, inventors…the list goes on. If there’s someone you admire or whose name you like , you may want to name your Chihuahua after them.
3) Look at your Chihuahua’s other physical attributes, such as its color and markings. How about Q-Tip for a white Chihuahua or Domino for a black and white one?
4) Look for something unique. If you’re looking for a name that’s a little out of the ordinary, choose one from a foreign language, like Japanese dog names or any other language that appeals to you.
5) Search through pet naming books and websites. You’ll find countless numbers of pet names to choose from.
Remember to use your creativity to help make finding a Chihuahua name stress free and fun. The only names you should avoid are ones that sound like commands (they may confuse your dog) and names that are insulting to your Chihuahua. Also, one or two-syllable names are usually considered preferable, as they are easiest to pronounce and easiest for your dog to respond to . Of course, don’t let this deter you! You can pick any name that appeals to you, just remember that you will be calling it out dozens of times each day, so a shorter version may be more convenient for daily use.
Finally, don’t forget to Check your Chihuahua’s reaction! Call out some of the names on your short-list and wait to see his or her response . This may help you choose the perfect name for your new Chihuahua. Good luck!